So I’ve been thinking about my handmade wardrobe plans for 2019 and I know we are not all flush with cash in the new year so I am encouraging you, my fellow sewists, to consider sewing three projects that need tackling (and hopefully those projects you have already spent the money on).
Using the hashtag #sew3unsewn I have come up with 3 categories that I am sure you will agree that can be sewn up, that may have been neglected for various reasons. It’s not an Instagram challenge with deadlines and prizes but simply a reminder to get them on your to do list without spending more money in the new year.
These are the 3 unsewn project categories.
- A pattern that you have bought but not yet sewn
- A fabric from your stash but not yet sewn
- A UFO (unfinished object) item that needs some TLC, UFO this maybe a project cut out but not yet sewn up, maybe it just needs the fastening completed or some final finishing touches that you have not got round to yet.
So No.1 – A pattern that you have bought but not yet sewn, i’m sure there are many options for this category.
- Why not resurface that pattern you bought but have the dreaded fear to give it a go, maybe it’s a more challenging project. I kid you not it won’t be as bad as you expect if you just take your time over it and do some research beforehand. I have the YouTube videos and blog posts to hand if I get stuck.
- Maybe it’s a pattern that you have been lusting over for a while, seeing some incredible versions popping up on Instagram. Well what are you waiting for if you love it then you will be especially proud once it is in your wardrobe for you to wear!
- Is it a pattern that you have bought for a special occasion in the near future? I have got my ticket for the Dressmakers Ball and need to make a start on my dress. The sooner the better so if it doesn’t turn out how I want then it won’t be a stressful few weeks in the lead up to the event.
This is my pattern that I have not yet sewn:
The Melody Trousers from Seamwork, I have already bought some lovely Navy Stretch Cotton in mind for this project so I will be making a start on these in January
No. 2 – A fabric from your stash but not yet sewn
- Do you have a fabric that you don’t know what to make with it, why not have a look through your patterns and try matching to this fabric type
- Have you splurged on some fabric and never cut into it? Well why not in 2019?
- It a fabric for the wrong season, this may be one for later in the year.
Apart from the stretch cotton I have referred to for the Melody Trousers, I also have this Cotton Lawn, which is not a fabric I often sew but I love the colours and want to make a simple Tee out of it.
No. 3 – A UFO
- Maybe this is a project cut out but not yet sewn up,
- Maybe it just needs the fastening completed or some final finishing touches that you have not got round to yet.
- Maybe it’s a garment but doesn’t quite fit right so you need to amend to get it a perfect fit
The UFO I need to complete is the Rigel Bomber jacket in a beautiful stain fabric that I have already cut out and have all the notions ready, I think it was a case of a low priority item that got bumped down the list in 2018.
What are your #sew3unsewn?
Happy Sewing in 2019.